I found a thingy on line called the Perfect Pleater which you can buy to help make…ahhh…perfect pleats. Hmmmm. Two weeks ago I was madly pleating the trim for my Half Grand Surprise gown’s skirt. I was making myself nuts trying to keep them straight and even. Eventually, gave up and winged it with the assumption that if it were on the ground no one would notice they weren’t perfectly even. Hopefully, they also didn’t notice that I had forgotten to remove the basting I had done to hold the bottom of the pleats while ironing. Half my pleats were held rigidly in place and not moving as I walked like they were supposed to.
Anyway, this Perfect Pleater is a wonderful idea. Except I’m too cheap to cough up the money to buy one of these things (and pay for shipping). So back on-line I went, looking for a cheaper version. I found two sites that were inspiring.
The first site showed how to make one with poster board and a stapler. Click here to see for yourself. I was all set to get myself some poster board and a box of staples and then I found this video. It was basically the same thing only bigger, using wallpaper and instead of stapling each fold (egads, that would have taken for ever) she used tacky spray. I decided combine the two ideas and use poster board as that seemed cheaper and to use the tacky spray instead of the staples. I have ideas about how to adapt the idea for box pleats.
So off I went to the big chain crafting store (chanting “you can’t buy any more wool or beads, you can’t buy anymore wool or beads”.)
I found two pieces of poster board and a bottle of tacky spray for 1/5th the cost I found for the ready-made pleater. I’m fairly certain I will not need 11 oz of the glue to complete this project so really this project will be more like 1/20th of the cost of the ready-made one.
I’ll have to make sure I keep the other 10 3/4 ozs out of Gingy’s reach.
In case you were wondering about that one glass bottle in the first photo, I found a package of 8 bottles at the store. My son was asking if I knew where he could get some as he wanted to make props for the Dungeons and Dragons game he plays with his chums. (The nut doesn’t fall far from the nerd tree apparently. It is nice to see I’ve rubbed off on at least one of my boys.) I gave him 7 of the bottles and kept one for myself. I wanted to make a medicine bottle for my costumes. I don’t think I will make a laudanum bottle as Shirley has one and I don’t want to copy her but I have found a label for “female problems” medicine. Tee Hee.
I’ll keep you posted on my Cheap Pleater Project.