I got my hat made today. As you may recall, I was aiming for the hat on the top right.
I was a bit stuck on how to shape the hat that must be under all that stuff. I thought it might be something like the bottom left. I made it with wire, buckram and left over scraps from the dress and that went fairly well. But without the decorations it looked more like this.
I decided to pin the decorations on before attaching them permanently. Good thing I did because my first two attempts looked more like this….
I can’t say it ended up being much better, but I did want something that was a bit more daring than what I have made in the past. The 1870’s did like things to be a bit over done. And this qualifies as over done. Unfortunately, I decided to use my phone instead of my camera and the photo is a bit blurry.
The color is also a bit off.
I slapped my hair up into a bun and attached my fake hair so that I could get an idea about how it might look. The hair was done loosely and the hat is quite heavy. I do hope I’ll be able to keep it on my head with a hat pin. The fake hair was also a bit crooked.
Here is the other side. I tried to have a bit more asymmetry but my modern senses resist this.
And this is how it looks with the dress.
I like hats. I can get them made up pretty fast.