I’ve made some headway on my mourning gown. But, I did have to re-cut and sew a new front flap panel. It fit with some squishing but I decided that in 1900 they were starting to move towards the pigeon front and not the snug fit of the earlier years. This required a piece that was 3″ wider. Thank heavens, I had enough fabric to re-cut it!
I realize that the remodeled panel looks crooked on the top. It isn’t in reality. Once it is really buttoned down (I will be using the Chinese frogs I made for the Oriental challenge of Historical sew fortnightly) and the faux shirt is laying flat, it will be fine.
I’m on the edge with the faux shirt. It seems a bit like over kill. But, since it is just a bib like thing, I could find a fabric I like better and make another one. This one will do fine for the more Halloween version of this dress’ incarnation. The one thing I do like about it, is it adds some more curve that would help with the pigeon front look. I just don’t know….
Once the sleeves are on and the fasteners are on and functioning, I should be able to make a better decision on the shirt front.
If all goes well, I should have the bodice done on time for my event next weekend. It is an evening event and our evenings are getting decidedly cold. I’ll need some sort of item for warmth. I had thought of dying one of my knitted shawls black but the dye pack I was looking at, could not promise that it would dye black and not some dreary shade of grey. So now I’m hoping to get a cape made by next weekend. My oh my, being employed is getting in the way of my sewing plans!