I shared photos of myself yesterday and now it is time for Shirley and her new dress.
I just love the blues!
Inside of a conservatory is the only way we will get bananas growing in our neck of the woods!
Shirley and I went out today and had a little photo shoot. We both had new dresses that needed to see the light of day. We went to the Conservatory in the park. Victorians loved the hot house conservatories! Today I will share my ensemble and tomorrow I will share Shirley’s!
How about a side view.
Back view. I like the bows and bobbles on the back of this thing. I think I look better going that coming!
And now for the hat…Lots of grapes and roses!
Thanks for viewing! See you tomorrow!
Should I be good and work on my Spanish and shaping my straw hat for my next project? Or should I be bad and waste time on this?
I have a carte de viste from the 1860’s judging by the clothes. Written in pencil over the photographers name is “Possibly Aunt Lydia ???” Who ever this is, her photo was taken by J B Hopkins in Lock Haven, PA
We will never know who Lydia really is but we can still appreciate her sense of style. What a great cape she has there! And a cute little hat! There is a pocket watch at her waist. Her sleeves look to be trimmed in velvet. And there are miles of little ruffles around her hem. I wonder what color that dress was? Was the cape an exact match?
I’m pretty happy with the back and like the side is pretty nice too.
I decided on not having the darts in it for various reasons mentioned in a previous post. But, lord, it does nothing for me! I’m not sorry for the horrible blurry photo because it is too nasty for a clear photo.
I think I need to do three things to make it something I might actually wear in public. One is I need to narrow the shoulder so it isn’t hanging so low down my arm. I need to put the darts in to give me a waist. And finally I need to wear a corset to bring the girls up wear they belong, thus filling in the baggy material at the top of the bodice. Just nasty as it is now.
The Challenge: HSF: Challenge 17 Robes and Robings
Pattern: Truly Victorian TV432
How historically accurate is it? The pattern is good. It is possible to be machine sewn. My intention for it is to be a house gown to be worn in a home and that is accurate. The fiber content is good but I’m only guessing at the print. I machine sewed the button holes and I’m not sure about that being common or if it was even possible. The buttons are metal so that is possible. The fit is terrible but I guess Victorian home sewers would have botched up a fit too. I’d so for accuracy it is about 85%.
Hours to complete: @30
First worn: not yet. And if I don’t fix it up it likely never will be used in public!
Total cost: $70
It looks like my next project for the Historical Sew Fortnightly is going to be a week late. The project is coming together nicely and easily, but I am struggling with working in the time to do it. LIFE!
The tea gown is assembled up to the sleeves. The collar and the bit that goes around the inside of the neck and opening (I can’t remember the name. Hey, I’m writing this in the middle of the night after being at a wedding for the last 8 hours…your lucky I remember my name!) Anyway, the collar and the opening thingy still have to go on then it is the buttons, the hem and the trim. It is a holiday on Monday so I should manage to get it done by Monday…one week late. No photos to show you though. Who really wants to see a half-finished gown anyway!
The tea gown has the option of having no darts in the front and I’ve decided to do that. I decided that for several reasons. Reason one: I find darts annoying for some reason. I always have to make mine bigger than the pattern because I have to size up on the front bodice pieces to compensate for the “girls” and then have to size up on the darts to compensate for the compensation…sheesh. 2) I decided that the only costume events I might choose to wear the tea gown is if I am hosting a tea for my close friends or if I am in a house museum pretending that I own the place and have invited my close friends. In those scenarios, a loose-fitting tea gown would be appropriate. Reason number 3 is that it is conceivable that I may have a costume event one day but I am unable to wear a corset. Last year I had a hysterectomy and it was touch and go whether I was going to be able to stand a corset at my next event. I was able to but just barely. Now I will have an option if ever I need one. (But, I don’t think I should need another hysterectomy-wink wink) And the fourth and final reason is I thought that I’d be possibly inclined to use it as a house coat if it were loose enough. Granted, it is a bit over the top for a house coat but I think that if people can wear pajama pants in public I can wear a Victorian tea gown in my house!
I did draw in where the darts should go so that I could quickly baste some in if I chose to use it as a day gown. I would imagine, with the darts it was more for puttering around the house, dealing with domestic business and perhaps having tea with people who one would want to be a bit more formal with. In that capacity, you would need a corset with it but not as tightly laced.
Enjoy your Sunday folks!