I believe the goal of the challenge was to take something that we really enjoyed making and make another one or to finish something that didn’t get done. My redo is the 1880’s Tea Gown aka “Ugly Sack”. So ugly even the camera wouldn’t look at it properly.
It was ugly in so many ways. There were optional darts at the waist that I didn’t put in because I thought it would be more comfortable. That coupled with the unneeded extra material added at the front for the “girls” and you had the sack formation.
Then there is the absolutely overwhelming pattern! I said to myself, “Self, you need to break out of the box and go for a bold pattern.” Well, Self, I say to you, “Get thee back into thy box!” When a large woman wears uninterrupted, vast expanses of floral print, she takes on the appearance of a sofa. Just sayin’.
So my redo was to put those darts in and with some strategic tucking, pull in all that extra fabric I had put into the bodice part. I attempted to break up some of that wild pattern by adding some lace. I don’t know. Would more help?
I didn’t change the back because I liked that part.I don’t loath the thing now. It is warm. I would make a decent house coat if not buttoned to the throat. A bit frumpy (there is an understatement) but at least it would get used. Not any uglier than some of my sweat suits and PJ.
I can’t see using it as a costume piece. Even if I had chosen a nice sedate fabric, I’m not sure I’d ever use it that way. I try to wear costumes the way the original Victorian’s would have worn their clothes. They didn’t wear tea gowns to go on outings on trains or picnics. They didn’t wear them to GO to tea. They wore them when just hanging out at home, having tea with close friends or family. If this were to get wear at a costume event, I’d have to invite some folks over for tea. And my house just isn’t Victorian enough. I guess I could try to find a house museum that was from the 1880’s and pretend I was the lady of the house…..