On my last outing with Shirley we stopped into an antique shop and I was able to score some old photographs at a good price. One of them was a tin type. It was being sold at rock bottom prices because it was damaged.
This poor photo has been scratched and bent to the point of one of these poor ladies loosing her half her face. (But her best feature-her eyes-are still there for us to see.) Luckily for this photo, it has been found by someone who is primarily interested in the gowns and hair. Judging by those features I’d guess this photo to be from the 80’s. One lady has the frizzy bangs that was the rage in the 80’s and one does not. It is a bit hard to be sure of the gowns because they are sitting but they seem to have the narrow front so I’m going to assume the bustles of the 80’s are there.
I found this photo interesting because it goes with my idea that next year I hope to have a stash busting/no new fabric year. A lot of my stash is fabric left over from previous projects and so I’ve decided that can be cut up to add more details to my existing gowns. One of the details I had considered was puffs and pleats similar to what the lady on the left has on the bottom of her gown.
The lady on the right has small pleats added to her bodice. I also like her bow that is pinned to her throat. That would make a nice quick project.
I can’t finish off this post without commenting on the gentleman’s hair and facial hair. All I can say is I wonder if the hubby would ever consent to that coiffure! Ha! I think not! But, then again, I can’t get him to wade into my hobby/madness anyway!