Catch up post for HSF

I had done very well with the challenges in the past year and a half and submitted something for every challenge.  Sometimes they were soft and flabby efforts and sometimes they were late but they were done.  Then there was a death in the family and I lost interest and momentum.

The last submission that came with a post was #18 poetry in motion.  It was completed a couple of months past the loss in my family but it was very soft and somewhat uninspired.

The next challenge was #19 inspiration and I was going to use the Flora and Fauna challenge from last year as my inspiration as I have some lovely floral print fabric that I will be making a dress out of.  I was making good progress until I hit a snag that is going to take some extra work to fix and there it sits on my dress form collecting dust….  Still waiting for my mojo to come back. I will finish that dress and it will either be a VERY LATE submission for that challenge or it will be adapted to a challenge for next year.

I made a start on #20 Alternative Universe.  I was going to make a corselet out of pop can tabs.  But this was the worst thing for me to try when my mojo is low!  If I’m not to keen on something it is because I can not imagine any situation that I might wear it!  I’m just not into the alternative universe genre so this project will likely end up where it should have gone in the first place…recycling!

I did manage to complete #21 Re do challenge.  It was another weak submission.  My hem for my Green Queen V dress was a bit off so I fixed it.  I only managed to remember to put it on Facebook but didn’t blog it here.  So here goes….a copy/paste of what I wrote on Facebook.photo 3 - Copy

Challenge #21: Re-Do

What the item is: 1830’s ball gown-copy of a gown Queen Victoria wore.

Fabric: 2 poly blends. One a fake silk taffeta, one a fake organza and some cotton for lining.

Pattern: TV455 adapted sleeves

Year: 1830’s

Notions: lace, buckles hooks and eyes and a whack of jewels

?How historically accurate is it? poly blend fabrics, machine sewn on long seams 50%?

Hours to complete: lost track…tons

First worn: Halloween party. The last time I posted a photo of me in it, I hadn’t gone all out with props and proper undies because it was just a quick try on. I don’t think I even did it up all the way…

Total cost: same as last time (the art challenge) I had to re-do the hem…it was wonky and add more hooks and eyes to keep me from squeezing out the back.

#22 Gentlemen is also going to be an extremely weak entry.  So weak that I think I shall not bother putting it on Facebook.

photo 2The gentleman is my father who passed away.  I was going for a memorial locket with a painted portrait in it which would have been done in the Victorian era but the locket is far too modern looking and in spite of the “painting” photo app, it still looks like what it is…a scan of a modern photograph.  Being cropped to death does not make his clothes look less modern.  I guess the hair and beard are plausible.  I did a crap job of cutting the photograph but that is fixable I think.  So for historical accuracy I give this a minus 10.

My mojo is gone for sewing but I’m doing okay with knitting.  I guess that is because it is repetitive and therefore not mentally challenging.photo 3A baby blanket.photo 1Scarves.

Advertisements

One thought on “Catch up post for HSF

  1. […] men’s wear!  It is also a redo of another attempt that I wasn’t very satisfied with.  (Shown here) What the item is: Memorial jewelry in honor of my father. Victorians often wore such jewelry when […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s