“Accidental burn test” or “lets pretend I planned it shall we”

My current project is fighting me every step of the way.  I need a cloak for earlier Victorian years so I don’t freeze to death at a Dickens Christmas “thing” I have this December.  In central Canada, December is the beginning of a 3 month frosty period that can only be compared to walking wet and naked into a deep freeze. I decided I wanted something like this…

I wanted the colors to go with a few dresses and I wanted not to spend a million dollars.

I was looking in the brown tones of the woman behind Judy Dench (don't you just love her?)

I was looking in the dark brown tones of the woman behind Judy Dench (don’t you just love her?)

I went with a huge piece of synthetic fabric (inexpensive).  First obstacle: I thought I had enough to use as both fashion fabric and lining. I had enough if I had no intention of moving my arms.  So I found another fabric to line it.  It was in my stash and it matched my trim so lets pretend I planned it shall we. I used the formally designated lining fabric to piece together a bigger piece for the fashion fabric.

Second obstacle: The above pictures look like 3 rectangles gathered up.  Easy. And yet my bigger piece of fabric did not want to drape nicely.  It rode up in the back for one, and I decided that once the inner lining was added for warmth it would be too thick and bunchy – it was already too bunchy without the inner lining and lining.  Well, I always wanted to try draping and this seemed like an easy project for that so lets pretend I planned it shall we.  So I did some trimming and shaping at the shoulders and neck.  Now I am wondering if I am moving to far away from the shape and technique used in the mid-Victorian era.  But there is no help for it.  I just didn’t want to look like this:fisher-junior-lined-sideline-cape-67

Third obstacle: the felt, flannel and fleece I planned to use for inner lining were now not wide enough.   So I spent a huge chunk of time piecing that together.  I zig zagged that to avoid huge chunky seams inside the cape.  Piecing is authentic right?  Zig zagging isn’t though!

Forth obstacle: (and the one that made me grind my teeth and opt to move away from the sewing room).  I went to press my seams…because that is what you do.  If I had any doubt about my fabric being synthetic, they are gone now because I forgot to check the temperature of my iron and my fabric melted.  IMG_20151114_173411103

Let us pretend that I wanted to know for sure what the fiber content was and I planned it that way shall we? A small mercy is this was only the smaller collar part and it wasn’t the side that was already trimmed.  Annoying but not catastrophic.


One thought on ““Accidental burn test” or “lets pretend I planned it shall we”

  1. […] Pattern: (Mistake number two) self drafted.  To read what a “joy” self drafting this thing was click here. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s