A few posts back, I was whining about no one wanting my knitted or crochet projects. One of my solutions was to simply make stuff for myself. And the things I can use a lot of is bags/containers/holders to keep my crap organized.
Up until now, I have been using a plastic case to hold my crochet hooks.
But it was originally a kit and I have more hooks than were originally intended for the case. This means the case wont stay closed and then the hooks fall out.
A real pain in the rump roast.
I had seen “housewives” that were popular in the Victorian era (and I believe earlier). They were cases, usually made from scrap bits of fabric, that were designed to hold random tools and items needed for sewing. So I thought, “they used left over fabric for a house wife for sewing- I will use left over wool to crochet a housewife for crochet hooks.” Ta da!
As you can see…nice and tidy! They are spaced quite far apart but in reality, I can get quite a few more in there…once I find them in all their hiding places. It rolls up nicely and all the hooks stay put.
I did two rows black, one row grey (left overs from my sons neck warmers). I used double crochet for every row but I altered every second row of grey. In the altered row, I crocheted into the row below the normal spot every second stitch. This created the little points on the out side.
On the inside, it created larger loops that I can slide the hooks into.
The plan is to use knitting needles and a knit stitch to make a new knitting needle case and I will use circular needles to make a case for my circular needles. AND THEN I will sew a housewife for my sewing things. I am inordinately pleased with myself!