This weekend, I dug up a loom I had found a few years ago in a garage sale for $2. I had been meaning to try weaving for some time. The trouble is, I can never get past the idea of what I’d actually make. I’d weave a chunk of fabric and then what? What would I use that chunk of fabric for. And since I couldn’t come up with a plan, the loom sat.
I decided, the first thing is just going to be a sample. What ever came off that loom would be a hot mess as any textile skill involves mastering technique and tension before you make anything worth while. I told myself, use crap scraps of wool and just work on skills.
Setting the loom up was a challenge. I ended up cutting everything off once because I had made a big mistake in the wrapping of the warp threads. I had to restring the heddles (the strings that raise and lower the warp strings so that the weft threads can slide in between). After I was all set up, I had a piece of the loom left over that I didn’t immediately know what it was for. But as I started weaving, the answer came to me. I had set up the warp strings incorrectly. If I had done it correctly, I would have used the extra peice and I would be able to make the finished product longer. But the goal was not a longer piece and since I was still able to weave I carried on. Next time I will know better.
As you can see, tension is definitely a problem but it is recognizable as a chunk of fabric.
It kind of makes me think of snake skin! Anyway, it will likely not get any longer. I think it will get cut off the loom and my next attempt will be wider and longer. I’ll make more of an attempt to even out that tension!