Christmas crap

I’m a bit Grinchy about Christmas.  This attitude comes from my line of work which involves decorating my work space so that my seniors get into the spirit of the season.  By the time I’ve put 3-5 trees (with varying degrees of functioning lights) and a crap load other things, I am not in the mood to do my tree at home.  But the hubby insists.

Once it is up, though, I’m glad I did it.


Most of my ornaments have a little sentimental story attached so I enjoy the walk down memory lane.

This year, I took some of my birthday gift cards for Micheal’s Craft store and bought new garland for the tree.  I was tired of the ancient tinsel garland that I have used for decades.


It wasn’t exactly cheap so I wouldn’t have actually paid for it myself.  But with gift cards, I could afford to splurge. Better the garland than spending the cards on more wool to add to the hoard.


Hector Blanche and Lollie

In my photograph collection, I have a postcard with three people in what look to be late 1890’s, or early 1900’s clothes.  I adore the hat and coat of the lady on the left!IMG_20170903_143205192

The two ladies could be related.  Siblings perhaps?  The man doesn’t look like either lady (but my sons don’t look alike at all) so is he a brother? a husband?  Who knows.  We do know their names are Hector, Blanche and Lollie.  It is wonderful when photos are inscribed with legible writing!


Goin’ out Edwardian style

I had my first event in Edwardian Fashions.  I finished the Trumpet Skirt I was working on and paired it with my shirtwaist made from a table cloth and wore it to the Urban Gallery display at the Museum of Man and Nature.  Lottie was also in Edwardian fashions and Shirley came in modern clothes and played “photographer”.  Here are some of the highlights…


You can almost see the authentic Edwardian belt buckle in this photo.  You can’t see the pin stripes in the skirt at all!


In a lot of my photos, my shirtwaist was riding up under my left arm and my hat had slipped WAAAAY back.  Sigh.  And I looked in the mirror before we started!


The dummy behind the counter had a similar shirtwaist on as the dummy in front of the counter!


Lookin’ for the laudanum and found the laxatives instead.


Lottie’s hat is the best! She took apart 3 hats to make this baby!


Time to play the harlot!

Then it was time to go home and play with the photographs.


Progress Report: Race against time

I have a costume event next Sunday and I hope to have a functional Edwardian outfit for it.  I just need a skirt to make it wearable.  I am doing Truly Victorian’s Trumpet Skirt in a black pin stripe.


For those of you haven’t made this skirt, you should know there is a lining under the fashion fabric.  This lining is 2 inches shorter than the skirt itself and it has a ruffle attached to it.


The job of this ruffle is to hold the bottom of the skirt out in the trumpet shape.  It is the lining and ruffle that seems to be the most labor intensive and time consuming part of the whole skirt.  This lining and ruffle gives you two more HUGE hems to do and I find gathering and attaching ruffles fiddly.

There are two hems because you don’t just attach the ruffle to the bottom of the lining.  you attach it so the bottom edge of the ruffle is even with the bottom edge of the lining.


My theory on why it is assembled this way is that the ruffle supports the skirt and the lining supports the ruffle.

As you can see, in the interest of saving time, I machine sewed the hems.  My thinking is that you wont be able to see it when I wear the skirt so it wont matter.  I will hand sew the actual fashion fabric hem.  If ever I get more keen on authenticity and “how it was really done” or if I decide to enter a contest, I can go back and re do those hems.  But for my “fun larking about” the machine hems will do.

I have the placket, waist band, hooks and hem left to do so that it is wearable.  There is a final step of adding some stiffening to the skirt hem to help hold it out that likely wont happen on time for the event.

I am running out of time!  I need to retire!  Work is getting in the way of my sewing!

Edwardian progress

I love long seams.  They take so little time and effort to do and yet you get big results!  IMG_20171116_060038

Of course, now comes the fiddly bits that take SO long!  There is a crap load of hemming to do and ruffles to attach to the lining (the ruffles hold the skirt hem out in a flare)…. Will I get it done on time?  I may cheat and machine sew the hem on the lining and the ruffles. No one will see those.

Another sweater for babies I don’t have

I had some wool left over from my last project and so I made another sweater.  I guess it will go into a hope chest for grand babies I may one day have.


There is a bit of wool left over.  I guess I will knit it up into a square and add it to a pile of other squares I have made that may one day become a crazy quilt afghan.

In sewing news, I finally cut out my tulip skirt that will go with my Edwardian shirtwaist. I hate cutting out.

I procrastinated so much, I may not have the skirt done on time to wear at the end of the month.  I was hoping to use this past long weekend to cut and at least sew all the long seams and all I managed to do was cut out and start another knitting project that I don’t need.

I’m a bit frustrated with myself.  I didn’t do as much on my skirt as I wanted and I started another knitting project when I have dozens of unfinished projects behind my couch and in my basement!  If only I didn’t have to work.  There would be so much more time to do projects.  Wouldn’t that be sweet to be able to make a list of all the projects I haven’t finished and all the projects I want to start and do nothing but work through that list!