I am still having computer issues so this is being done on my phone. In order to avoid aggravating my carpel tunnel, I am going to make this short and sweet.
I wanted Dorset buttons for my Edwardian dress but couldn’t find rings in the size I wanted. I settled for huge ones and made several buttons. Of course I have since found a different size. A better size so I am making these up instead. What to do with the huge ones? Here they are side by side.
I did plan on getting into my sewing room and whipping up the over sleeve on my next dress project but couldn’t get my butt off the couch. I’m not sick…just lazy. But I did work on the dress.
I want to use Dorset buttons on the dress and I have 12 that I made a year or two ago. Unfortunately I have 12 and need 16. I was unable to find more of the same sized rings so I had to buy 16 more of a slightly larger size. This weekend I started making new buttons. (3 done)
Definitely bigger than I want but usable.
I also bought the cording I will need to go with it. So some progress was had.
Olive is officially on her way! I bought the lining, closures and thread I needed to get started.
The bodice is well and truly started. The original pattern has gathers at the waist but I did big pleats instead to try and match the inspiration.
And I want to use the Dorset buttons I made ages ago! (Alas, I will need to make more) but I think they will work out well.
Its hard to get started but once I have, it is easier to keep going (unless I leave the country of course.)
My next project (which I have dubbed Olive) has been cut out.
I had ordered a pattern for the top but I realized that it isn’t the right one.
Which is the right one? One I had already.
Oh well. All is not lost. There is a ton of fabric left over and I have a bit of contrasting material. I could use the other pattern with that material-or not. I haven’t decided yet.
My inspiration dress has an over and under skirt. If I make the over skirt separate from the under skirt I can end up with 4 pieces that I can mix and match.
I love it when a plan comes together!
Have any of you made new years resolutions? I tend not to do those any more. They never make it past January. But I do have a couple of goals. One is to reduce the amount of stuff in my house. I used to go through the house twice a year and ditch things that no longer served a purpose but I haven’t really done that in a few years and the amount of “stuff” that has started to amass is getting uncomfortable.
My other goal is along the lines of the first but more specific. That is to reduce the sewing and knitting hoard by getting rid of started projects by either finishing them or getting rid of them. So, for example, if I look in a bag and see a knitting project that I can honestly say I have no desire to finish, I will unravel the wool and either set it aside for another project or sell it in a garage sale or donate it to charity. Some of that wool was purchased because it was on sale but now I feel it is ugly.
In terms of sewing, I’ve been hoarding fabric for 4 projects. Since I no longer do Historical Sew Monthly, I have no need to put these projects on the back burner AGAIN and run out and buy more fabric for projects that better suit the challenge.
Here are the four projects:
- The olive dress using fabric I bought a year and a half ago at CoCo.
- A corset with fabric bought a year and a half ago (also at CoCo).
- An 1896 dress with fabric I bought last spring for a Historical Sew Monthly challenge but never started.
- Decide on and make a dress with the fabric my costuming buddy picked up for me when she went to CoCo last summer.In years past, I worked out a project plan based on the Historical Sew Monthly challenges but this year I’m just saying “goals” not “plans” and I will tackle each project when I have completed a current project and I will decide on which one to start next based on what I feel like making. Historical Sew Monthly was useful for helping me build my costume wardrobe and for pushing me into motion but now I don’t want the pressure. I want to make what I want when I want. I feel I can “up my game” not by rapidly trying new projects, eras and skills but by slowing down and working on quality not quantity. I no longer need to build a wardrobe. Now I need to fill it out with accessories and I need to start thinking about replacing dresses with ones that better represent what I know and what I can do.
Have any of you made plans or goals for this year?
I like these posts. I’m always surprised at how much I’ve actually done in a year! So lets see if this year holds true-in spite of the extra stresses and giving up on Historical Sew Monthly.
Lets start with the non wearable items: rock painting.
Next up: modern sewing projects.
Modern knitting and crochet. There were quite a few of these, including one where I spun the wool myself.
Gads! The wrinkles!
There were a few historical knitting projects.
There were not as many historical sewing projects as in years past but more than I thought!
The total is 25 which works about to be about 2 a month. Not to shabby! I’m happy with that.
I hope for myself another productive year and I wish it for you readers as well. I also wish happiness and peace!
It has been awhile since I produced anything historical but today is the day! And it has been a project that I amassed materials for a year and a half ago! ‘Bout time!
Yeah, I know. The hat is made before the dress….sigh.
This is the inspiration:
And this is my version:
I was hoping for more of a sloping hill look. And I thought I made it ridiculously huge but apparently not enough.
Some more smaller flowers may help…
The base isn’t quite right either. This is what it looked like without flowers.