Why stash busting isn’t working

I have started the second stocking.


It likely will take several weeks to finish.

I have other projects…sewing and knitting… on the docket and in the UFO piles and yet, I buy more wool.  But it was on sale.  And I have been thinking that after the current stocking is made, I want to make another pair.  This pair would be knee high instead of crotch high and I wanted it to be in 5 colors like the pattern suggests.

The pattern suggests pink, blue, gold, black and red.  That color combo is wild indeed.  Especially in the shades available to me.  So I swapped out the red and black (which is dumb because I would have left overs from my current pair but I’m like that. Why use up the wool I have when I can put it in the stash and buy more?)  I also swapped out the gold because there wasn’t any.


The pink and blue go with the fabric I bought for my next dress.  The dress colors were chosen because they would go with my pineapple shawl which I made and never had a dress to wear with it. The cream wool will match the shawl.   SAM_1962

The mauve wool goes well with the first three colors and there is a slight purple hue to the pink fabric for the dress. The fifth color was chosen because I needed a dark color for the toe, it went fairly well with the others and it needed to be a bit crazy because the pattern suggestions were crazy.  (Just too crazy for me).

I need to retire.  The reduced income would hinder buying more crap and the increased time would mean I would use up the crap I have and finish the UFO’s!  Lord, save me from myself.

HSF 2017: Challenge 5 literature

Gosh this is late.  And not really finished how I wanted! The plan was to knit a pair of stockings and use the quote from Jane Eyre.

” but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.”


As you can see, I only got one stocking done.  A little late I can handle, but over a month late is too much.  So I quickly switched to garters.  The pattern is from Godey’s Lady’s book from the civil war era.  The pattern is on line.  Those I finished.  I wore the one stocking with a garter to see how well they held up.  They didn’t.  They might work on knee highs but not on crotch highs.  Gravity is too strong a force.  I may resort to some sort of belt system or elastic for the socks and try the garter on shorter socks.

Here are the stats:

What the item is: Garters

The Challenge, and how this item fulfills it: Literature-see above quote.

Fabric/Materials: yarn-synthetic blend with a silky feel to it.

Pattern: Godey’s Lady’s Book

Year: 1860’s

Notions: double point needles

How historically accurate is it? The only thing that is off is the fibers.  I’d give it a 90%

Hours to complete: about 6

First worn: around the house last week

Total cost: I used scraps left over from the one sock I made.  Mere pennies.

One down, one to go

I finally finished the first stocking.  The second shouldn’t take as long because, hopefully, I wont be unknitting as many rows.


You can’t tell from the picture but they go quite high, ahem, very “ain’t gonna be any pictures of that high” high.

They don’t stay up on their own so I will have to whip up a set of garters as well but from what I have read on line, the knit ones work pretty well.

Stocking progress

Mercy, these babies are long!  From the drawing that came with the pattern,I thought they would be knee high.


Not so.  Let us just say, I will have to put them on before the bloomers! Possibly instead of bloomers!  At least I won’t need to worry about chub rub.IMG_20170601_071740498

Ignore the PJ’s in above photo.  I knit in comfort!

I have finally reached the heel so this is how long they get.  Any longer and they will be leggings.  Is it any wonder they are not finished yet!  I think the corset cover will have to be whipped up to meet May’s HSF challenge.

On a sweeter note, how about some bunnies.IMG_20170530_202134658

These guys were waiting for me when I walked out of work last night.  Hubby hates them but I love bunnies.


I will hug them and call them George…



Still alive. Still knittin’

I’ve been off the radar for a bit.  You know…drama.  But I have been diligently knitting in spite of it all.  When last we spoke, I was this far in my stockings.IMG_20170507_210459996

Not quite done the first section of the pattern.  Now I’ve completed 3 sections of pattern.


I keep thinking that I wish I had opted for the 5 colors that are actually in the pattern and that I might do this pattern again, in the suggested colors.  But, I keep forgetting, I have to do this one more time as is because I have two legs.  By the time I’ve done 2 of these, I may not be that keen on doing another pair.